Saturday, February 2, 2008

TamTam Books' Tribute to Shuji Terayama (Part One)



Shuji Terayama is probably one of the most interesting figures to come out of Post-War Japan. He’s up there with Yukio Mishima, but I don’t think one could separate Terayama from his time period.

At the time Tokyo arts were going big-time in the sixties. A lot of great stuff was being produced during this period, and Terayama was one of the great figures of that era. He was a writer, playwright, filmmaker, poet, visual artist, graphic artist and essayist.

For information on him in English, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuji_Terayama

Here are some of his artworks and images.













Here are some of his films. And don't be afraid of the language, they're visual treats. Trust me on this!


Emperor Tomato Ketchup (Excerpt 1) (1971)


Emperor Tomato Ketchup (Excerpt 2) (1971)


Emperor Tomato Ketchup (Excerpt) 1971


Movie Guide For Young People Blue Screen (1974) A masterpiece!
Trailer for "To Die in the Country (1974)


A still from one of his films


A shrine to Shuji Terayamam

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool stuff Tosh! So, I am so unhip that I didn't realize this is where Stereolab got the name for their CD Emperor Tomato Ketchup...

It doesn't look like any of his films are available on DVD. Bummer. Thanks for the clips!

Tosh Berman said...

He has dvd boxsets in Japan, but I doubt his work can get past customs. There's a lot of nudity and issues with children in his work. But he's a major figure in post-war Japan. I like his work a lot.

querik said...

wow what an amazing treat!

I only know tomato ketchup, and the wonderfully titled brechtian movie "throw away your books and go out into the streets!" which is another of his 70s political movies.

some images from a political 'action' street performance scene form that movie on my blog here

I first saw them at the rotterdam filmfestival in the early 90s.

even terayama is on youtube. amazing. what's not.

I have a few lines on matsumoto's 60s classic funeral parade of roses on my blog with images too.

Tosh Berman said...

Funeral Parade of Roses is really great. The lead player in that film "Peta" or Peter is fantastic as well. I have an ep of him singing 6 songs. Recorded sometime in the 70's.

querik said...

wow, under what name did he make records? peta? i'll try to look for some online. does he sing enka songs?

Tosh Berman said...

Peta (or Peter in English) cd is only 6 songs and it's Enka. The music was recorded in the late 60's to the early 70's - and it's my guess that they were singles or maybe even soundtrack songs of some sort. But it's a cool thing to have!

I got my copy at Tower Records in Tokyo a couple of years ago. This particular collection came out in 2001. So I imagine there are copies floating about. I would check Amazon Japan or maybe even Tower Japan has a website? The CD (only 6 songs) is 1,000 yen (around $10).

david said...

I know nothing about this guy and I guess youtube wants to preserve my ignorance. In other words, "this video is no longer available." Grabby I call it.
The postcard drawings are great.