Sunday, October 27, 2013

Lou Reed Part 2 (the solo Lou)


"Sweet Jane" live in Paris 1974


"Waiting For The Man" Lou Reed & John Cale 1972


Lou Reed full length documentary (American Masters)


Lou Reed "How Do You Think"


Lou Reed "Berlin"  Full Album

October 27, 2013


Lou Reed died this morning.  A major cultural generational shift.  There was a Lou Reed in my life for the past 50 years.  Now that presence is gone, but not really.  The great thing about recorded music is that it sticks to you as long as you have ears, and you have that record machine, or whatever device you want to listen music to - but his death is very sad.  I can’t say tragic, because I think he had a long and rich life.  But it is something to know that I am only 12 years apart from Lou, so yeah, it is really a moment to reflect on one’s ability to stick around or not.  The thing is I think most people thought that Lou Reed could never die.  It doesn’t seem to be part of his DNA.   I guess that is a wrong  thought.  An error on our part.  But man, you can’t beat that guy at his height.  The four Velvets albums (plus the live stuff) and the early solo albums were excellent as well.  Even the stuff I don’t like is never on the hack level.  I just didn’t like it, more about me than him.   But for sure will miss the Lou Reed as of the "now" appearance. 

- Tosh Berman

No comments: