Tuesday, January 12, 2021

The Important Albums and Singles from 1984 for Tosh

 








Finishing up the Twenties and going into being 30-years old in 1984. And living the bachelor life in Hollywood, both West, and Central. The number one album for me at that time was David Sylvian's (of Japan) first solo album "Brilliant Trees." I remember feeling excited about the possibility of the release of this album. In my mind, this album is going to be a masterpiece. And to this day, I feel it is an important work from a pop star turning into a more serious sort of music artist. Embracing world music, and surrounding himself with very forward-thinking musicians this is an album that didn't disappoint me. Also, my real introduction to Scott Walker took place with the release of "Climate of the Hunter," which I wrote about earlier. I also bought my first Prince album "Purple Rain," and clearly this is an extraordinary talent that seems to have a hold on the entire music world at the time. I was working at the record store, and everyone there loved Prince and this album. The dicey area now approaches with Malcolm McClaren's "Fans," his aural approach of mixing opera with pop. Not bad for a total non-musician such as Malcolm. One can argue about the quality of this album, but there is something brilliant in its concept, plus having Jeff Beck on the record as well. Bronski Beat's 'Smalltown Boy" struck me at the time as a very beautiful and moving song about being on the outside of the social world - - meaning if you are Gay on a very hostile planet. "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood was a fave of mine, just due to the obvious hype and presentation. Also, another version of Gay culture came upon my world due to this song and Bronski Beat. The other 'gay' presence is The Smiths. I have always preferred the Smiths compilations to the actual album releases. "Hatful of Hollow" is a fantastic collection of b-sides and single releases of this once remarkable band. - Tosh Berman

No comments: