Thursday, January 21, 2021

January 21, 2021, by Tosh Berman

 


January 21, 2021

The exhaustion of the last four years is as vast and deep as my soul's misery. If he had won the election, it would genuinely be either you go or I leave. As a villain, he's not even an interesting evil fellow. He's just annoying. I watched the first two press conferences from the new White House administration. It's amazing how wonderfully boring it is, but with vital information. To show my appreciation, I plan to watch every press conference, from Monday to Friday. It's the only series that gives me a sense of peace and to be in a room full of adults. The past four years is like being locked up with a very disturbed child. You want to understand this little creature, but eventually, you want to smash his head onto the pavement. 

When the world is not sophisticated, I lose interest. To be trapped by what some call a human being is like stuck in a party and having to talk to the big bore, and there is no exit to this damn party from hell. I sit there as he rambles on and on, and I'm just smiling and thinking of every Benny Hill routine I have seen. The eros from Radley Metzger films to the beauty of Noe Itō and beyond is my only escape from the madness that's 2016 to 2021. It's like being tortured by someone giving you a thousand paper cuts and being forced to keep one's eyes on the Television screen at one of his many horrific rallies. It's a strange feeling to know that if he entered a room you are in, that I would shoot him without a second thought. I can easily see myself in the Lawrence Harvey role in The Manchurian Candidate. 

Instead, I rooted myself on the couch in front of the screen to watch Henry Paris's film of 1974, "Score." The narration takes place in the mythical European city Leisure. These days I live in a series of rooms with four walls. My view of the world is limited to my imagination: that and the films of Mr. Paris. My world is here. 

No comments: