Friday, August 10, 2012

Serge Gainsbourg Volume 1 1958-1962

Serge Gainsbourg Volume 1: 1958-1962

My Serge Gainsbourg obsession is not going to die out.  Especially now that I published Gilles Verlant's amazing biography on the man ("Gainsbourg").  Not that long ago I bought this incredible vinyl box set of Serge's early 7 inch 45 rpm EP's.   Mono recordings. Beautiful package.  All with original front covers and back covers and it comes with  a little booklet.  

Ah, but what about the music?  Well for me, the iconic one can't do wrong, but without a doubt my favorite time period - musically speaking - is his work from the 1950's to the early 60's.  I love his jazz foundations for his songs.  Alain Goraguer is sort of my arranger god, and his work with Gainsbourg is amazing.  Like his work with Boris Vian recordings, Goraguer knows how to serve the artist - and its really a beautiful relationship between Gainsbourg and Goraguer.  Reading the Verlant bio, they had an up and down relationship - but overall a good one.  

Serge Gainsbourg Volume 1: 1958-1962







No comments: