Sunday, June 20, 2010

Francis Ponge's' "Soap"

Soap (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics) Soap by Francis Ponge


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I have heard of Francis Ponge, but never read any of his books. Luckily i found this book at my favorite local used bookstore, and the subject matter interested me - Soap. Well, not soap in itself, but the fact that a writer wanted to write a book called "Soap."

And yes the book is about soap and washing your hands, it is also about writing. Or the nature of writing. If my eyes were covered (does that make sense while reading?) I for sure would think this is the work of Raymond Queneau, with respect to his "Exercises in Style." Both books have a strong visual picture, but its not the picture that is the subject matter, but how the tale or image is told.

So yeah, the book is about nothing, but really its about everything. Therefore its great!

View all my reviews >>

No comments: