Friday, November 5, 2010

Thierry Jonquet's "MYGALE"

a href="http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/918645.Mygale" style="float: left; padding-right: 20px">Mygale (City Lights Noir, 4)Mygale by Thierry Jonquet
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A great 'making you pay' story that reminds me of Franju's "Eyes Without a Face."  It has that slightly surreal horror aspect to it.  And many years later I am in Paris and looking for something to read in English, I found Joquet's "Tarantula."  I purchased it and once I got on the plane i  realized it was the British edition of "Mygale."  So that was a disappointing moment.  But alas I re-read the book.

Its a masterpiece!  As I mentioned it does have that Franju horror aspect, but it is also a very nasty revenge story.  Almost on the surreal level of violence and behavior.  I have read that Pedro Amodovar is doing a film on this - and I can him doing it campy.  But alas it is truly a horror story.  A great noir horror thriller.


View all my reviews

No comments: