Friday, March 29, 2013

"Maki 2" by Maki Asakawa


The first time I read the name "Maki" was at a record store in Shibuya Tokyo.  The cover of her album "Maki 2" drew me in.  I knew by the graphics that the album was either folk, jazz, or somewhere in between.  The third category is it.

Beautifully almost baroque/jazz like arrangements surround her earthy vocals.  She sort of reminds me of Joni Mitchell, if she was more of a jazz singer, but I actually like Maki's take on that type of jazz much better than Mitchell's.  Plus the fact that she is associated with the great playwright/filmmaker Shuji Terayama is a big plus for me as well.  Without a doubt I am going to track down her other albums.  This one I believe was recorded in the early 1970's.  Hardcore Shinjuku pop culture!



No comments: