Saturday, January 25, 2014

January 25, 2014



January 25, 2014


Whenever I hear Felix Mendelssohn's "The Wedding March" it makes me a tad sad. I had a girlfriend in my 20's and her name was Nellie Bly. I say 'was' because I am not sure if she is still alive or not. Nellie and I were going to get married, and I insisted that we must have "The Wedding March" as the 'song' for the wedding. She suggested that we find the best recording of the song, but the romantic in me wanted a full live orchestra for the wedding. This of course was way beyond our budget. Yet, we put off the wedding till we can save enough money for such an orchestra. This, in my point of view, was a major mistake on my part.

The longer we wait, the longer it seemed impossible to get married. I think the reason why I wanted to marry Nellie besides loving her of course, was that I wanted to contain her. At her very core, besides being a great beauty, she was an adventurer. What broke off our engagement was that she wanted to go around the world in 72 days, like her literary idol Jules Verne. She made it very clear to me that she wanted to take this trip alone. 

I was scared and turned-on thinking of her traveling by herself in such a manner. Our sex life at this point just got nasty instead of loving. Afterwards I would find tears in my eyes, and I would turn away from her, because I didn't want her to see me in such a state. But even through the tears, it somewhat added a sense of drama to our love making. 



The two music artists we liked to listen to in our heated moment of passion was Sleepy John Estes and Antônio Antonio Carlos Jobim. For some, music gets in the way of the love making, but for me and her, we needed a specific soundtrack, and as our physical passion got stronger, we noticed that we consistently broke or chipped the actual vinyl during our 'session.'

One day she just left me. I didn't know where she went, and no one seemed to know either. One day I got a phone call, with the great help of the Oriental Telephone Company, which strange enough was an American company that sold the first telephones to Asia. Nevertheless she told me that she was enjoying her trip around the world, and also our relationship is over. She didn't say this out of being mean, but it was her nature to do something like this. I could be hurt or bitter, but in fact it made me love her more.

1 comment:

ElNeato said...

sounds like a girl from ipanema

cheers