Thursday, October 31, 2019

"Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn" by Brett Anderson

ISBN: 978-14087111842
I avoided Suede in the early years because I was turned off by their image for some reason. Sort of second-generation or even third-generation glam didn't sound that hot to me. Over the years I warmed to their records, and last year I bought and read Brett Anderson's first memoir "Coal Black Mornings" of his childhood and teenage years. That book is excellent. A very detailed description of his surroundings and a fascinating and eccentric father. "Afternoon with the Blinds Drawn" focuses on the high years of Suede, and it is not as compelling as the first volume. For one, I can sense Anderson didn't really want to write about the Suede decades, but perhaps due to the success of the first volume, he or his publishers pushed him to go on. 

Still, he's a very good prose writer. Sometimes when you write about your success, it's not the most interesting part of one's life. I sense there will be a third volume, and that may be more interesting due to new family, his band getting together, and how middle-age life is like when you're still rockin'.

No comments: