Friday, June 4, 2021

Novi - "Novi Sing Chopin" Vinyl, LP, Album, 1971 (Polskie Nagrania Muza)

 


I have been looking for the vinyl of this album for quite a while now. Novi is a Jazz vocal quartet from Poland. I have two albums by them. One is Vocal Jazz From Poland 1965-75, and the other is this masterpiece recording Novi Sing Chopin. For at least two years, I have been trying to locate this album in the United States, and finally, it shows up in yesterday's mail. Since then, I have been looking at this cover, not fully believing that I got this precious item in my house. Then I put it on my turntable - pure bliss. 

I love Chopin's melodies. I knew his name, of course, but in reality, I first heard his music through Serge Gainsbourg's Lemon Incest. It took me a few years to realize that Gainsbourg 'borrowed' the melody for his magnificent record. Then came Jack Nitzsche's album of Chopin music, which is also a favorite of mine. And now I have and love Novi Sing Chopin. However, there is something perverse when I only listen to Chopin through a pop or jazz context. That, I can't explain why?


My knowledge of Novi is limited. They are from Poland and were formed in Warsaw in 1964. All their recordings are from the Polish label Polskie Nagrania Muza, except for their compilation Vocal Jazz From Poland 1965-75 came out on a German record label. The four members of Novi are Bernard KawkaEwa WanatJanusz Mych, and Ryszard Szeremeta. The entire album is their four vocals, with an occasional stand-up bass, but played so lightly it's almost an ambient sound. It's really a beautiful blending of vocals with heart-wrenching melodies. There is a 20th mid-century vibe, and one can close their eyes and think of themselves in a John Lautner architectural home, with a nearby wet bar. That is a surface visual reference, but the music on the album burns the essence of the purity of the melodies. For me, a perfect album. 




No comments: