Saturday, December 18, 2021

Eve Babitz

 


I didn't know Eve Babitz that well. I only met her a few times, and always in the landscape of either an opening at a gallery or a party with or for artists. Her non-fiction books are recommended, especially if the reader has an interest in Southern California culture. Eve's personality in those days was delightful and very funny. I remember talking to her after my dad died, and she knew Wallace. We were at a party and at first, she took a liking to me. But as the minutes go by I can see her interest in me or our conversation should end as soon as possible. What struck me at that moment was her honesty as her mood changed from seduction to boredom. That was the last time I saw her, and reading about her burn incident as well as being lured in by the Right-Wing world was depressing news. Hearing of her passing is also equally depressing. There are spirits you want to live forever, and alas, they can't in the physical sense. But we do have her books published by NYRB, and that can last forever.

No comments: