Tuesday, October 14, 2014

October 14, 2014



October 14, 2014

“Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” I followed that advice to a “T” and it left me miserable and quite alone.  But alone is perfectly OK, because I can’t stand the mindless chatter of my fellow citizens, even if it is to go from point A to Z, there is too much noise that goes with it.  To find that one piece of silence and to be able to groove with it, ah, that’s amore!   Even poetry is way too loud for me.  I recently picked up a book of collected poems by e.e. Cummings, and man, is he unnecessary loud or what?  “Yours is the light by which my spirit's born: - you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars.” Total shite.  When you compare it to Dean Martin’s song and to quote:

“When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie, that's amore
When the world seems to shine
Like you've had too much wine, that's amore. ”

The above song is blaring, but it is also fits perfectly as a form or stanza.  The e.e. cummings poem is also a lie.  I don’t believe him when he writes such sentiment - also he was a life long Republican who supported Joseph McCarthy, so fuck him anyway.  On the other hand, the Dino song perfectly reflects a realistic approach to life, that doesn’t make moral demands on one’s ability to love or not to love.

Even that, I need to secure myself from the brutality that lies in front of me.  Life to me is a series of elimination.  There is such a thing in having too much. When you have it all, you forget where you’re standing, and therefore the space becomes more important than the clutter that surrounds you.  As a child, my mother read me “The House of Pooh Corner” and there is a segment that explains everything that is important in my life. To quote”



“..."But what I like doing best is Nothing." "How do you do Nothing?" asked Pooh, after he had wondered for a long time. "Well, it's when people call out at you just as you're going off to do it, What are you going to do Christopher Robin, and you say, Oh, nothing, and you go and do it." "Oh, I see," said Pooh. "This is a nothing sort of thing that we're doing right now." "Oh, I see," said Pooh again. "It means just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear and not bothering." "Oh!" said Pooh.”



Now that’s amore!  Le Monte Young had a conceptual piece that was equally important to me.  He recommended to draw a straight line, and follow it.  That, and his composition “The Well-Tuned Piano,” which in a typical performance can last five to six hours - is just heaven to me.  There is no beginning and no end, just an existence where you float upon what’s inside your head, and only the beat of your heart is the only rhythm one needs.



For the past ten or so years, I have been listening to Cliff and The Shadows, trying to bring myself closer to a culture that I understood being essential to one’s mindset.   I even danced in front of the mirror, imitating the choreography of that band’s intimate and quite beautiful dancing; but even that, I was hearing someone else’s noise, and I needed to live and reflect on my “noise” than someone else’s.  Therefore the dream that is in front of me, is one of my own making, and with that knowledge, I jump in with both feet, and not a thought in my head.

No comments: