Sunday, September 9, 2018

September 8, 2018 (Paris) by Tosh Berman


September 8, 2018

The early part of the day was very much into the subject matter of sleep.  I woke up around 10 and did some writing.   The apartment we are staying in is on the top floor.  As you look out the two windows in the main room, the view is rooftops.  Not far from us is the Circus building, and their roof is a vast dome.   I would like to think it was a university or a Government building, but no, it’s a circus.  Since we are on the top floor, the ceiling is shaped like the rooftops.  There are peeks, and then there are lows.  As of my last count, I banged my head at least three times.  We have wooden beams going across the room. If I wish to hang myself, that would be no problem. The beam is probably 8 ft high, so if I get a chair and a nice rope, the job is done. 

At the moment (even although I’m writing) I’m getting dressed to go out tonight to be part of my dad’s opening here in Paris.  After the talk I will give with Sophie, then we will have dinner at Frank and Vanessa ’s house which is in the neighborhood.  To clear my head, I take a walk around the Marais, which is the oldest part of Paris.  As I stroll down the streets without bothering the thought of direction or address, I think of the 17th-century structures, and imagine myself in the future, which in fact, I’m apparently in the present, which of course, is the future.  

I found a Vegan Burger place in the Marais called “Hank’s Burger,” (55 rue des Archives, 75003 Paris) which looks fantastic.  I gave up on eating meat, yet I still desire to eat a hamburger.  For me, it’s not the meat that necessary in a burger but the accessory what is around the beef.  The bun, lettuce, mustard, onions and so forth is what makes me hungry.   It’s more of a textural feeling than anything else.  Since it was a Saturday, there was a huge line to get in.  I stood in line for a bit and decided I needed to get some fast food because I had to go to the gallery for my dad’s opening at the gallery Frank Elbaz.  I’m scheduled to give a talk or chat with Sophie at the gallery, and I didn’t want to be late.  

I found a small chain food market, which had Amazon lockers for people to pick up their purchases.   In their food-to-go department, I found a vegetable wrap, that cost around 3 euros.  I sat at the counter to look out at the people walking on rue de Turenne.  My favorite two cities to watch people is Tokyo and Paris.  But sitting here, I’m thinking that maybe Paris is more colorful or eccentric.  There are at least a 100 narratives taking place within 20 minutes of me eating my vegetable wrap.  Which, by the way, is rather good for an inexpensive, quick bite. 

Lun*na and I met my nephew and his soon to be the bride at the corner of our street where we are staying, and we then headed out toward the gallery.   We walked by a large store “Merci” (111 Boulevard Beaumarchais, 75003 Paris) and decided we had an extra 30 minutes, so we decided to go in and look around.  It’s a very exquisite shop that sells clothing to cooking gear, and everything in-between.  It’s a shop that is curated with a specific taste.  It’s large with a men’s section as well as women’s - and there’s a cafe attached to the store that is lined with bookshelves full of used books.  One can buy a book here as well as having a meal. 

As we left to approach the gallery, I was getting nervous about my presentation.  I should be if one is sane because I didn’t prepare for any talk.  I never do!  I often have dreams where I’m in social and open places, and I’m not wearing any pants.  This is a dream of anxiety, and this is how I feel whenever I appear in front of the public.  The good news is Sophie is excellent with a crowd, and I just follow her train of thought, and bingo the evening was a success.   I’m delighted with Wallace’s (my dad) show at the gallery.  The show will be up until October 11, and the address is 66 rue de Turenne, 75003 Paris.  Open from Tuesday to Saturday, 11:00 A.M. To 7 P.M. 



The opening was extra special because an old friend of my dad and mom’s showed up at the opening.  John is his name, and he came from London to visit his friend in Paris, but also for the opening as well.  After the gallery closed for the evening, we all went on a stroll to Frank and Vanessa’s home that was nearby the gallery.  As I walked by, I saw this poster of Johnny Halliday, and I was intrigued to know that there is an exhibition devoted to his memory and career.   In my life, French rock n’ roll makes more sense to me than American rock n’ roll. 

When we arrived at the home, which was initially built in the 17th century, it was breathtakingly beautiful.  There were a lot of people there, and I immediately felt comfortable to be in their presence.  In many ways, Paris is a theatrical setting, and I’m just one of the actors who roam around the area, getting ready for a performance. 



- Tosh Berman, Paris, September 8, 2018

No comments: