Sunday, November 2, 2014

November 2, 2014



November 2, 2014

The ordinary world is so dull.  Day-in-day-out.  One has to re-imagine themselves just to brush off the offensive personalities that are of “that” landscape.  One needs to take a space and make it special.  I have often admired the work of Rudy van Gelder, due that he took a room, made it to his specification for the perfect sound to capture music genius’s sounds.  Throughout my life I tried to find the perfect location to do my writing, but alas, I seem to fail.  I first began working in my personal library, but I found myself enclosed in a world of my making, in other words, the books I have read and worshiped.  The books have a tendency to reflect the personality that I desperately want or desire, and once I approach the empty piece of paper … it stays empty.



I try to re-imagine myself in a world that is artificial, and therefore I’m drawn to films made by Luchino Visconti - because the setting appears to be much larger than the characters. I’m thinking specifically of “Death inVenice” and “The Damned.” Both locations are inflicted with decay, and the death of a culture can be an inspirational torch to get one to be creative.  On the other hand, for me who I find contemporary culture to be unexciting, lifeless… It’s a stretch of my imagination to convey a better world out of that miserable existence that I call the 21st century.



On the other hand, I need a landscape that seems real to me.  I was very much raised in the world of comic books, and one illustrator that has always captured my attention is Steve Ditko, who seemed to have an almost feminine approach to his super-heroes.   Doctor Strange is very psychedelic - almost too much for my sensibilities. His adventures take place on another dimension, that is hard for me to understand or grasp.  I can’t identify myself in such a world.  Perhaps because it is just so fantastic.  I need a landscape that is clearly decaying.  The 21st century is for sure in that mode, but it is so dreary it is hard for me to get my imagination around it.



The way I see it, I don’t want to shoot contemporary culture with an elephant gun, so I wished it would just shuffle along.  Yet, it stays like a bad odor in a public bathroom.   Boredom is worn proudly on their jacket lapel. With that in mind, I always remember the quote from Jules Barbey d’Aurevilly:  “Hatred needs scorn.  Scorn is hatred’s nectar.” I have a print-out of that quote and I attach it to my notebook, as an inspiration or motivation to finish a project.  My feeling of disgust is the hunger within that makes me want to write, to create - a better world?


No comments: