Saturday, December 1, 2007

David Bowie in Bertolt Brecht's 'Baal'



My friend Nick made me a CD of some old vinyl I had for awhile. One title is David Bowie's "Baal," which is one of my favorite recordings by this icon. For reasons I don't know, Bowie never released the long playing E.P. soundtrack, which is a shame.





"Baal" is Bertolt Brecht's first play and it is about a traveling musician who seduces and destroys lives with the ease of a dog drinking from soiled water. David Bowie starred in a BBC production as Baal, and it seems to be the perfect role for him. Yet there is no DVD or even VHS version of this production available to the open market.


Bertolt Brecht

3 comments:

DavidEhrenstein said...

Baal is very much a Brecht self-portrait.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I think you are right about that. The words to the four or so songs are really beautiful.

Tony's Stuff said...

Baal - this is really a special track indeed. I know it well and was amazed when I first heard it!