Monday, May 26, 2014

May 26, 2014



May 26, 2014

It was a happy shock to me when I heard that my book “Sparks-Tastic” was up for the Prix Goncourt last December, but alas I didn’t win, due that that prize goes to French language authors, and somehow, even though I do have some French blood (mostly Canadian to be honest) running in my veins,  I’m neither a citizen of a French providence nor can I read or speak French.  But in spirit, of course I’m French.  So I was disappointed that I didn’t get the prize and the fact, technically, I shouldn’t have been on the list in the first place.  Which now comes to mind, I despise any hint of nationalism in one’s art or even behavior.  Technically I’m an American, but what does that mean?  To this moment, it still bothers me a great degree that no American has participated in the Eurovision song contest.  What I find irritating is the case that a lot of European artists sing in English, yet, where are the Americans?



Miles Davis tried to get on the show in the late 1950s, with a pick-up band of Juliette Gréco and Catherine Sauvage sharing lead vocals, Johnnie Ronson (Mick’s dad), and Peggy Lee doing some scat vocalizing in the background - yet, unbelievably, they were not chosen to be part of the event.  Although, and I do admit, that there were different nationalities in this line-up, but still, shouldn’t the Eurovision judges acknowledge the talent behind this one-off band?   As an American (therefore a humanist) I find it totally disgusting how art is placed in a box, and not allowed to sing out, whatever it is in song or in my profession, words.  And I should also like to say, not just words, but words arranged on a page in a specific manner.



Now, that I brought up this subject matter, I need to be honest with all of you.  I resent being in contests, and then… losing.   Why invite me in the first place, and then denounce yours truly by not giving one the prize that they so richly deserve?  It’s insane!  Nevertheless let by-gones be by-gones and focus on the present.  As a youth I ran across an interesting street musician in mid-town Manhattan, who wore a Viking costume, and I was struck by his amazing music and being such an astonishing and forceful individual.  When you take a walk, not expecting what will hit you…, well it’s a stunning moment.  Now whenever I put my pen onto paper, I will not forget that moment, and will wander till I find it again.

2 comments:

ElNeato said...

saw the great moondog quite a bit back then…he had a regular spot outside the burlington mills building in midtown..

he had already recorded great lps for the prestige label and was doing great orchestral scores, (and yet all romantacism aside) was still living a hard street life

fortunately in his later years he was finally lauded as the genius he always was, in europe

his day has still not arrived stateside…i imagine one day a film about his life... with the actor portraying him, being nominated for all sorts of awards…his stature was/is that huge

cheers

Tosh Berman said...

Even better yet, I hear there is a documentary in the works. So, we can leave the film-bio for another time - thankfully.