Thursday, February 4, 2021

February 4, 2021, by Tosh Berman

 


February 4, 2021


Today Facebook is 17-years old.  A mere teenager on the entranceway to being an adult. Where would I be without Facebook? Or bigger question, where would you be without Facebook? Before Facebook, I was quite happy to be on MySpace and then before that Friendster. I started being creative on MySpace by writing a daily diary directly to their website. Some reason or another, I became a Facebook member, and why I left for one social platform to the other is a mystery to me. I remember Facebook people at the time would rather be caught dead than be on MySpace. Facebook had a loyal fanbase, and memory doesn't serve me well why that was or is the reason.  At the time, I think Facebook was more comfortable to use.


I have to point out the importance of Facebook to me and my writing. On news years eve, 2013, I decided to post an essay/fiction/journal entry every day in 2014. I posted the writings on my personal Google blog (Blogger) as well. Every morning I would wake up around 6:30 morning and started my research that day. It took me about an hour to figure out what I'm going to write about, and then by 11 that morning, I would post the piece on Facebook as well as my blog. For me, Facebook is a canvas for me to work on. I got a fair amount of readers, as well as people commenting on the pieces. So, right away, I got attention for my work. The negative thing about Facebook is its censorship time-to-time and obviously mining out personal information regarding your 'likes' and commentary. It's not uncommon to comment on something and then see the ad for that product or political party show up on your Facebook feed and even outside the website. 


I have never been upset with Facebook because I know I'm a guest here, and the site is by no means my property.  I don't have to pay rent, nor do I have to click on items brought to my attention. Still, it's difficult to ignore something or get emotionally involved, where you feel you must click to 'like." The Facebook community has done harm. We see that by the rise of Right-Wing Militant groups and others who use the platform to spread false reports or news. One can say the same for the Left, but I'll let that slide since I sympathize with The Left. Not only will I let that slide, but I will never leave Facebook. Even before the virus, I felt the strains of alienation and being separated from the landscape. By being with Facebook, I often felt outraged over someone's post or stance in life. I often think about it in the middle-of-the-night while trying to fall asleep. 


Facebook is like having a boyfriend, girlfriend, or the other. You have to input information, thoughts, insight, and anger to make the social platform into something primarily vital in one's life.  You can't win on Facebook, but you can survive.  At times it is like watching a road accident took place, but one should just move on and go on to the other posts. It's interesting to note how personal Facebook can be. For instance, Mark chose the blue color design due that he's color-blind. That, maybe just a myth. But then again, Facebook itself is a myth. Happy 17th Birthday Facebook.

No comments: