Tuesday, March 24, 2020

March 24, 2020 (In the Year of the Trump Virus)

March 24, 2020 (In the Year of the Trump Virus)

Terrence McNally's passing brings to mind my 88-year old Uncle, who is on Oxygen and has problems with his lungs. Fragile existence on an average day, but with the virus going around, it is truly a life-and-death issue with me. I stay away from my Uncle, and I'm conscientious in my surroundings, in that I don't go out of the house, unless to the market or to drop off food for my Uncle and Mom (both live in my neighborhood). Oddly enough, I'm not scared, but more super aware than anything else. 
The news of McNally's death, due to coronavirus, is disturbing by itself, but with the addition of President Virus's remarks about opening businesses on or before Easter is criminally insane. I would also add insensitive concerning that people are sick, and some are dying. He shouldn't forget that. 
Being secluded is not that difficult for me. I think more due to my character, and perhaps being an only child is helpful in this aspect of modern-day life. I've been reading a lot. For instance, I read two books on the surfer Miki Dora: "All for a Few Perfect Waves" by David Rensin and "Dora Lives." I'm starting a writing project on the bad-boy, although legendary surfer, so it has been an excellent time-killer for me. It is ironic to be indoors all the time while reading about a man who traveled the world for the aesthetic pleasure of being part of the ocean. Still, it's satisfying to meditate on the condition of the world, as one reads on. I also finished reading Cornelius Cardew's "Stockhausen Serves Imperialism" For those who like Hard Left-Wing politics mixed in with the modern classical world will find entertainment within its pages. 
My suggestion to readers of my blog/Facebook posts is that you should not think of the isolation as a punishment or even to save a life, but more of a position of pleasure. I'm anxious, especially when I wake up in the middle of the night with thoughts of dread. By morning and when I'm having my first cup of coffee, I feel the anxiety from the night disappearing into the morning clouds or sunshine. Tonight we are going to have dinner with friends either on Facebook or through some other device or app. I have never done anything like this before, and I'm looking forward to the exchange through modern equipment. 
All-in-all, I have been moody, and even on the depressive side, but still, the pleasure of reading or listening to vinyl records is superbly pleasant. I have been keeping a journal of these days, and hopefully, it will become literature. Oh, and the good news is that Kimley and I will be doing a new episode of Book Musik tomorrow late afternoon. The focus of our discussion will be on the excellent book "It Gets Me Home" by Ian Penman. - Tosh Berman

No comments: