Sunday, April 7, 2019

Sunday, April 7, 2019



Today is Sunday.  The artwork above is "Sol lustitiae" (Sun of Righteousness) a work of art by Albrecht Düer, sometime in the years 1400-1500.  It is a work regarding Sunday. I woke up in my normal manner by finishing off Francis Ponge's "Nioque of the Early-Spring" a book of poems regarding weather in his neck of the woods in France.  Both naturalistic, but with political overtures as well.  An interesting book to read in a hot bath.  I have a problem with my left shoulder where it's stiff and sore.  Never painful, but just feels awkward when I lean against it in bed, or if I move too quickly after stretching the arm.  It feels like arthritis, but how would I know that?  My Japanese friends tell me it's just the sign of old age, and that eventually it will disappear, but will also come back.  And that is the total truth.  



Throughout the day I have to work on the finishing touches on my essay for "Please Kill Me" website.   I'm doing a series of articles/pieces on the role of the music manager.  There are plenty of books on the subject matter, but I'm trying to find obscure figures in that field that needs more proper attention.   It's a fun writing and research project for me.  Beyond that, I'm doing my mom's laundry.  Her washing machine and dryer is downstairs from her duplex apartment and the stairs are hard to manage while carrying laundry.  I assist her by doing the work at home and then bringing it to her the next day.  It's the least I can do for her!   Beyond that, I really enjoy doing the laundry.  Both mine and hers.  My wife and I do separate laundry duties, but often she would take charge of the situation, and do my mom's laundry as well as folding it up and putting it in a large bag.  A skill I lack (out of many) is properly folding the clothes.  That, like my attempts at hairdressing, is doomed to fail. 



Beyond the writing and laundry issues, I find Sundays to be stressful.  I feel I need to relax, and I often think of going to the cinema, but I can't find a movie I want to watch.   I just did a podcast with a filmmaker Jeff Mizushima Here and we discuss the nature of cinema viewing, and how it is different in each medium.  Personally, I love going to the movies, but the cost of the ticket, plus the low quality of a lot of the mainstream films is a real downer for me.  Also, there are theaters  I like to go to, but they are at a distance, especially since I don't drive.  More likely I will go to Skylight Books and let my brain wander among the bookshelves.  



No comments: