Sunday, January 12, 2014

January 12, 2014




January 12, 2014

I wondered around where I used to work, Book Soup, looking for a book that I ordered for the store, hoping it didn't get sold, because I really wanted to read it today.  Charles Perrault is a favorite of mine due to the fact that I was raised with his fairy tales.  I can never get enough of "The Sleeping Beauty" or "Little Red Riding Hood."   My Mom used to read them to me as a child, and even though I can never remember the location or that whole day, I do have strong memories of her reading these stories to me.  So once I was old enough to read them by myself, it was like another texture was layered on my memory of these stories.  To bounce out the fairy tales I also purchased Haruki Murakami's "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" as well as a collection of short stories by Jack London.


Afterwards I took the bus line No. 2 to Amoeba Records to purchase   vinyl copies of Tex Ritter and Ray Price.  I never had an understanding or appreciation for Country recordings, but I decided I needed to make a giant leap into this world, with both feet first than head.   My wish was to find a 10" version of their albums, because I wanted something from the 1950s to give it that authentic appeal, or what it is like to discover something from that era.  But of course that is really impossible, because I am going back on someone else's nostalgia.  Odd enough I really don't have that feeling for the past, so I need to either share or ride piggy-back on someone else's desires for the past.  Luckily I found everything I desired, at that moment.


When I got home, I photographed all my new possessions.   It is not enough just to have the books and recordings, but I also needed a photo representation of some sort as well.  Photos to me are second-hand objects, a remembrance of things past.

1 comment:

ElNeato said...

you're closer than you may think


ray price "the cherokee cowboy" cut a great great tune in the 50's called "you done me wrong"…this tune was picked up in the 60's and underwent a lyric change- to morph into the holy modal rounders-"if you wanna be a bird"


featured among other people!!(ahem)/things….

in the film- easy rider

cheers

ray-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfQ1P8y81SM

hmr-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpnsIe7wBW8