Friday, January 17, 2014

January 17, 2014



January 17, 2014

As usual after eating my Peanut Butter and Jam English muffin, I took my bath.  Rarely do I take a shower, because I feel taking a shower is sort of the lower class of a bath.  Taking a shower represents that you have to something in great speed or the only purpose is to clean oneself.  But alas a bath is one taking over time, even denying time to soak themselves into a small body of water. Today I took a scented bath (smells like a forest in some imaginary land) while reading the play "The Cherry Orchard" by Anton Chekhov.  It seemed appropriate to read this while taking a bath.  Doing nothing can almost be seen as a political act in our world today.

Carl Laemmle, who was the father of Universal Pictures, so much part of my history, with respect to my love for films.  But the film medium is so fragile, and I remember reading that all his property or place of business was eventually torn down.  Only in the San Fernando Valley is his true home still exist, in a permenent place.  But before that his personal residence was owned by Thomas Ince, whose house was razed in the '40's.  Stars, film and the Cherry Orchard don't last forever!



I think about things like that while taking a bath.  Where i live is also where Mack Sennett worked and lived - yet where is his studio or home?  Shouldn't there be a plaque praising and acknowledging this great figure of cinema history?  But then again, perhaps there is a plaque. Often I have trouble explaining myself, at times I suffer from what Ronald Firbank suffers from, which is a feeling of not belonging.  Nevertheless, once I am out of the bathtub I rarely think about these matters.



1 comment:

ElNeato said...

"operator… operator... there's a man in the bathtub"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBk09vhKVc

bernard herrmann took showers

cheers