Thursday, January 28, 2021

Albums Released in 1999 That's Important to Tosh


 



t's fascinating to know myself and how much I wasn't into contemporary releases for 1999. As we approached the 21st-century, I found comfort with Bryan Ferry's rather conservative arrangements of classic songs from the 20th-century "As Time Goes By" and Bowie's return to songcraft "Hours." What struck me about these albums by my music idols is how much they aged. The first time I realized that these artists are now approaching senior-age or middle-age, and their music reflects that adventure. Through them, I lost interest in "Youth." The other release of that year of interest to me is Sonic Youth's "Goodbye 20th-Century" and making music by John Cage, Yoko Ono, Cornelius Cardew, George Maciunas, Christian Wolff, and others. Fluxus meets Avant-rock! Scott Walker's soundtrack album "Pola X" has the most beautiful incidental music by Scott with lush orchestration. Also, songs by Sonic Youth and Smog. I know it sounds odd, but this was really my first introduction to Sonic Youth and especially Smog. He struck me as a middle America Scott! "Pola X" is not the easiest music to find, but I strongly recommend it. Especially for those who like the early Scott solo albums. It's Scott of "Tilt," but it also looks back to his melodic work as well. Essential.

No comments: