Thursday, January 21, 2021

Albums That Were Important to Tosh in 1992

 



1992 I was pretty much busy working in the Beyond Baroque world as its Director and Curator. I had a craving for music but it got very unimportant to me at this time. Looking through the releases there are only two albums that made an impression on me, and they are albums by well-known, yet controversial artists. Yoko Ono and Morrissey. Beyond that, on a music level, I must have been focused on buying old Serge Gainsbourg and Joe Meek related music. French Pop made an impression on me, due to my visits to Japanese record stores. The Ono Box was a retrospective of Yoko's recordings, and it is probably the best set exploring her music. The Morrissey "Your Arsenal" was his 'rock' recording, produced by the great Mick Ronson. At this time, I felt Morrissey was at his height as an artist and 'public figure.' At the time, I thought his approach to the Right-Wing was as in a fictional character. Nevertheless, I have always preferred the solo Morrissey to The Smiths. Not a popular opinion by the way! -Tosh Berman

No comments: