Monday, January 11, 2021

"The Walker: On Finding and Losing Yourself in the Modern City" by Matthew Beaumont (Verso)

 

ISBN: 978--1-78873-891-9

A collection of essays focusing on the nature of walking in an urban city from the 19th-century to the 20th. Very much a literary study on the subject matter of wandering through the city on authors C.K. Chesterton, Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe, Virginia Woolf, Georges Bataille, Ray Bradbury, Edward Bellamy, and most important to me, Ford Madox Ford. I found the essay on Ford as a very personal approach to the subject matter of having vertigo in public spaces. I suffer from the same, but I have trouble defining the issues behind my phobia. Reading the chapter on Ford, with his connection of walking in large areas in cities and feeling not quite right. A part of the book I'll read over and over again. As for the rest of the book, it's a worthy volume on a subject matter that is very dear to my heart and mind.

No comments: