Monday, January 11, 2021

The Important Records from 1983 for Tosh

 






1983, such a strange year. I was working at Licorice Pizza in West Los Angeles with a terrific cast of characters, but it seems to look over the releases that year, I was not into any album. Only singles. There was one mini-album or 12" ep, and that was The Art of Noise's "Into the Battle with The Art of Noise." How can anyone not love "Moments in Love?" Probably one of the first magnificent production of a minimalist piece of music. The other singles that made an impression on me are Fun Boy Three's "Our Lips Are Sealed," The Smiths' "This Charming Man," Kraftwerk's "Tour de France," and last but for sure not least, Peter Schilling's "Major Tom (Coming Home). I presume that song is an answer song to Bowie's "Space Oddity." I remember my friends hating that record, but I had a special love for it, for some perverse reason that I can't remember now. -Tosh Berman

No comments: