Saturday, January 2, 2021

The Important Albums from 1978 for Tosh

 





23 or 24-years old in 1978, and totally in love with the music culture of that time. Also was in my first real relationship, and she left me for a member of The Tubes. So, forgive me if I don't have the live Tubes album here. Nevertheless, the four albums that made an impact on me are Public Image's first album, Wire's "Chairs Missing," Buzzcocks's "Another Music in a Different Kitchen," and Magazine's "Real Life." Those four pretty much expressed my inner-demons and anxiety. Runner-ups are Lou Reed's "Street Hassle," which I think is a great Lou album. I love the low-fi yet hi-fi sound of this disc. DEVO's first great album, but I was deeply disappointed with Eno's production at the time. I saw DEVO numerous times, and they were like watching James Brown and His Flames in 1963. Intensity observed and practiced. Elvis Costello's "This Year's Model" was a fave as well. But his music didn't last for me. Talking Heads "More Songs..." their second album and produced by Eno, is pretty good. But like Elvis, I have no need to go back to this album. I also love Bryan Ferry's "The Bride Stripped Bare." That is his Los Angeles album, and it's very Chateau Marmont to me. But for the first four albums, I will never give up my love for those albums. -Tosh Berman

No comments: