Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The Important Albums from 1981 for Tosh

 







There were many important artists and albums released in 1981. Still, for me, the essential albums were Japan's "Tin Drum," The Associates "Drawer Fourth Down," Heaven 17's "Penthouse and Pavement," Sparks's "Whomp That Sucker," The dBs' "Stands for Decibels," and The Lounge Lizard's first album.
"Tin Drum" is Japan's third album, and I was drawn by this record due to the cover. I was intrigued by David Sylvian's perfect hair, make-up and him eating rice under a photo of Mao. At this point, I avoided Japan because I thought they were a 'hype' band, and perhaps a rip-off of Roxy Music. Alias, I was really wrong. Japan (must forgive them for their stupid name; never name your band after a city/country) is a very unique band, due to their arrangements of fretless bass, electronics, excellent drumming, and Sylvian's voice. After I purchased this album, I went back to the other previous two albums. All winners.
The dBs is simply a great pop combo. The Fab Four mixed with garage rock, but with incredible sophistication. I truly don't understand why they weren't huge in their time. Other bands who almost have that dBs sound became very successful, but perhaps Chris Stamey and company were too twisted in their pop song imagery.
Sparks, for them, almost went mainstream, except their excellent songwriting and performance make "Whomp This Sucker" an incredible experience. The wit of their songs alone makes them exceptionally special.
Out of the first version of The Human League comes Heaven 17. An electro-duo with real instruments and songs that were political. I find this album from track one to the last, all exceptional. I even bought all the 12" remixes at the time.
The Lounge Lizards (perfect band name for 'fake' jazz group) was the image of Manhattan to me. The off-kilter jazz brilliantly performed by the band with the additional guitar noise from Arto Lindsay was a mega-wow to me. Truly a 'cool' album.
And last, but not least, the brilliant Associates. Joe Meek meets experimental David Bowie. This is sonic madness put on vinyl or tape. Unique, original, beautiful, noisy, it's just a perfect compilation of their early singles in the dawn of the 80s. They were magnificent. Billy MacKenzie and Alan Rankine.

No comments: