Saturday, January 23, 2021

Albums That Were Important to Tosh in 1994

 






1994, I think I left Beyond Baroque and started to work full-time at Book Soup. And I stayed there until 2012. Having Tower Records across the street from the store got me into the music world again. I'm still buying reissues of Gainsbourg and started to obtain a strong Boris Vian fixation. Still, it was British music that made an impression on me. Portishead, I think, similarly hit everyone: DJ-related, Noir sounds, and bluesy, with a strong movie soundtrack feel. I loved their sound and the sense of a dreamy landscape in front of me. Pulp was another discovery that year. "His 'N' Hers" captured that kitchen sink feeling of British literature, cinema, and theater. Jarvis Cocker and company had such a strong character that comes through their music. I also loved the painted cover portrait of the band. Frank Black's second solo album, "Teenager of the Year" (I love that title), I think, is a remarkable work. I think it has 23 short songs, and all of them had great depth for me. Divine Comedy returns with an album with a great song, "The Booklovers," which lists every author and just a remarkable piece of baroque-pop. I was impressed with Morrissey's "Vauxhall and I," which is a remarkable piece of work from the grump king. If you look back on 1994, I think most contemporary music lovers will find something totally satisfying—a strong music year.

No comments: