Saturday, January 30, 2021

The Albums That Were Important To Tosh in 2001

 





2001 was the start of the 21st century, and it wasn’t a good way to start off the new season if you get my drift. I have been OK, but overall, it’s the downfall that continues and never ends. 9/11, Iraq War, American torture, Bush era, Obama unable to shift the bad mood, and then Trump and the virus to top it all. Still, the year 2001 had some odd and strange albums. And I only listened to these albums when they came out. Pulp’s “We Love Life” is orchestrated perfection with flourishes of darkness. Produced by Scott Walker was a listener’s addiction. 


What I discovered that year was the ‘hype’ band, or whatever they were, Fischerspooner. Electro-pop, but with a strong visual aspect, and I first heard of them because they played in a gallery.  I even saw them, but I have very little memory of their performance for some reason. To me, they are very vague, yet, I played their first album a lot. And they even did a Wire cover!  I also discovered Jim O’Rourke that year, and my first album of his was “Insignificance.” Now here was a rabbit hole I could jump into. I love Jim’s sense of playfulness, but serious at the same time. His music is almost impossible to realistically define, but such an adventurer still made an impression on me. Also, his presence in Tokyo was very strong. I ran into this album in many record stores in the Shibuya and Shinjuku areas of the metropolis. 


The one album that totally knocked me out is Fantomas’ “The Director’s Cut.” This was my first step into the Mike Patton world, and I was thrilled to hear them covering film theme classics. Exceptional taste, and done in a bold and in-your-face manner. How could I not resist!

No comments: