Monday, January 25, 2021

Albums That Were Important to Tosh in 1996

 



As far as I can remember (or tell), there were only two albums of importance for me in 1996. Suede's "Coming Up" and Tricky's "Pre-Millennium Tension." On the surface, they're from the same country but seem apart. The truth is that both artists capture a mood or tension in modern life in the UK. "Trash" from the Suede album is an amazing single/song. I still play it to this day. And it is also interesting to point out, Suede went through a major change from losing Bernard Butler (guitarist/co-songwriter) and getting a new guitarist/co-songwriter). They became more forceful and focused. Not every album by them became great, but what looked like post-glam seedy glamour was/is actually a new approach to pop music. Tricky's second (or third) album was essential listening for me at the time—especially "Tricky Kid" off that album. More was going on that year, but I really would need a week to figure out what 1996 meant to me. - Tosh Berman

No comments: