Friday, January 29, 2021

Albums That Were Important to Tosh in 2000

 






The year 2000 sounded like being in the future, but I was very much in the present time of my memory. For me, nothing mega happened music-wise that year. Still, due to Scott Walker's "Pola X" soundtrack, I was introduced to the voice of Smog ( Bill Callahan) and liked "Dongs of Sevotion." Through my wife, I was seduced by Peaches and saw her live around this time as well. Her electronic 'in-your-face' lyrics and music appealed to my aural and visual pleasure. The moody Goldfrapp reminded me of Portishead, and I liked their take on pop as a mood piece, but melodically beautiful. Johnny Cash's "American III: Solitary Man" had his version of Nick Cave's amazing "The Mercy Seat." I love Cash's minimal take of the song, and with the Liberace flourishes by Benmont Tench on piano. It only lasts a few seconds, but I got excited just waiting for that part in the song/recording. Ute Lemper is a German theatrical singer. Leading toward a Lotte Lenya vibe but open to different types of music. "Punishing Kiss" is an amazing album. She arranged to have Tom Waits, Nick Cave, The Divine Comedy, Philip Glass, Elvis Costello, and the amazing Scott Walker to record and write songs for this album. What can go wrong? Nothing. "Streets of Berlin, music by Glass, is a stunning Cabaret style haunted piece of work. Also, Scott Walker's "Scope J" is an essential Scott music.

No comments: