Thursday, January 14, 2021

The Important Music for Tosh in 1986

 




1986 was a mega-year for me. For one, I quit Licorice Pizza and decided to become a European traveler for the rest of my life. Kimley and I left for Europe, thinking that we will never come back - we did, due to financial issues. Still, I remember buying Frank Sinatra cassettes for the trip and that was the background music for this trip. But also I was extremely excited that the film "Absolute Beginners" would open in London, and we were there. One could hear Bowie's theme song to the film all over Europe, as well as the Style Council. For the serious side to me, I loved the David Sylvian double album "Gone to Earth" featuring the guitar talents of Robert Fripp. And always loved a hype band, Sigue Sigue Sputnik's "Flaunt It," which was the album to hate by the masses, but I loved it. If you dig into this year there was some magnificent and important music - but alas, I was on the road, and wasn't aware of these artists, until later. -Tosh Berman

No comments: